Sunday, February 6, 2011

Three Photos

I love this picture and then entire accompanying spread found in Vogue's 2010 September Issue. The photo shoot was called "Sweater Girl" and thanks to Grace Coddington, who styled the shoot, it is the epitome of all of the wonderful things happening in fashion right now; the new skirt lengths, demure cuts, polished hair, even the color pallets. The time period that Coddington recreated (the 1950's) is my absolute favorite. I am nostalgic for the time, despite the fact I was not even there and this photo especially made me wish I could have been even more. I also just love it because Grace Coddington is a genius and her work is one of the main reasons why I get Vogue each month.


http://www.sassisamblog.com/2010/08/21/lara-stone-sweater-girl-vogue-september/



I chose this picture because I stumbled upon it on my Tumblr feed and thought it was one of the funniest things I had seen in a while. It was during the buzz before the new Harry Potter movie came out, and as a fan of Harry Potter and of making fun of certain hipster behaviors, I was automatically hooked on this picture. The idea behind it is so clever; take these people we love to watch and read about and put them in hipster clothes, with brooding faces that would look great as Myspace pictures. Plus, I love how thorough the artist went with the picture down to the Toms replica shoes that Hermione seems to be sporting and the Gryffindor scarf that Harry is wearing.



http://www.geekologie.com/2010/10/needs_more_wayfarers_hipster_h.php



As the description of this photo says on the website, this photo shows "beauty amid the chaos." My roommate posted this picture a couple of days ago, and I was immediately drawn to it, especially after reading more and more on the situation in Egypt. I think that despite the turmoil within the situation and the differences between the groups, the fact that they all united in this one instance shows that there is a bit of hope and that something good will hopefully be the end result of all of this unrest.

http://www.good.is/post/protesters-are-awesome-look-at-this-beautiful-photo-of-christians-protecting-praying-muslims-in-egypt/


1 comment:

  1. That second photo is great. I never pictured Harry, Hermione and Ron as hipsters while reading any of the seven books in the series, which is what makes this picture so sarcastically perfect. If the three friends were all trust fund babies and if Hogwarts was actually a small liberal arts school somewhere in New England, this would be an accurate depiction of what they would dress like.

    ReplyDelete