Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Photos


I have a lot of different interests when it comes to photograpy. It was really hard to narrow these down to three but here it is.

This first picture is from Wildflowers Photography. Here is their blog. They are currently my favorite portrait/wedding photographers. I love this image partially because I think photographing kids is possibly the cutest thing ever and partially because I am obsessed with vintage cameras.


This image is by Steve McCurry who is a famous National Geographic photograher. The detail in this image is incredible. I love how he was able to capture the movement of the smoke, every crevice of his face and that intense look in his eyes. There is so much story telling to his portraits. I hope one day to be half as talented as him.












This last picture I first saw when I visited the Newseum in Washington, D.C. There is a whole exhibit for the Pulitzer Prize Photographs and I was absolutely inspired. I now have the book of all the photographs. This was shot by Kevin Carter and here is his story.

4 comments:

  1. I love all three of your choices of photography. At first glance, the first picture is quite precious. But when you think about the contrast in the children holding the old camera it's kind of deep. The children represent our future generation and they have the power to take technology and run with it and advance. But I think that the picture shows how you need a balance between old and new. Just because something is old... like those camera's doesn't mean it's feckless.
    The next picture is my favorite because I love the simplicity yet pow it gives. This blue-collar workforce that shapes our American culture is something that gets over looked often by the white-collar office workers.
    Lastly the third picture is almost too powerful for words. The idea of that vulture looking at that small child as prey and food makes my stomach turn over. And also, it makes me feel completely spoiled and fat here in the US.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jordan,
    Wasn't the Newseum awesome? I'll never forget the Pulitzer gallery. This one is definitely wrenching. What a powerful statement.

    ReplyDelete
  3. All of these photos are great. I like the first one because I used to work a lot with older cameras and developed in the darkroom. Brings back good memories!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember the third one from the Newseum also, which says something about it because as you know, there was SO much to see there. I remember this picture, along with the wall of journalists who died on the job, to be the most heart-wrenching exhibits.

    ReplyDelete