Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Mis Favoritas Picturas

Photo Attribution: Summer Nelson
My friend Summer took all three of these photos in her backyard.  She has an amazing knack for capturing the simple beauty in nature.  Whether it's a wilting flower that gets overlooked everyday or a beautiful insect in its natural habitat I love the simple beauty of her pictures.  The first one is one of my favorites (it's actually my twitter background :P) because of the contrast in the color of the flowers with the gray background.  I know that on a gloomy day such as the ones we've been having lately, the last thing I would think to do is stop and look at the budding nature around me (which is what she did).  Now dragonfly's can beat their wings 28 beats per second, so to capture the wings at perfect extension is pretty cool.  And lastly, butterflies are like my favorite thing.  The power of transformation over their short life from something creepy and crawly to something elegant and graceful is quite beautiful.  That's why I love butterflies and especially this picture of one.   


4 comments:

  1. The second picture s amazing. I love how tiny and yet how big the dragonfly seems. I think that Summer created this effect by keeping the background completely out of focus. The dragonfly becomes the only thing in the picture, making him seem larger than life, but I still have to squint to make out its tiny face. I also love the green background. Even if it were just in her background, it looks exotic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely agree with Devin on the focus aspect of these pictures. I love that she has created such a clear focus in the pictures while still placing emphasis on the surrounding elements, such as the gray background you mentioned in the first picture. She seems to have a very interesting interpretation of nature, which translates well into these photographs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love these pictures! Your friend Summer is very talented. I like that the photos have more of a gray tone because it really adds a different element to the picture. Also, her different focuses make all of them so different, but yet still go together. I could see any of these images framed and in my house.

    ReplyDelete