Thursday, February 3, 2011

Photos

I had to get a screenshot of this because of copyright rules, but this is from the Lens blog at the NYT. I love that it shows the division of pro-Mubarak and anti-government protestors in Egypt. This shows how close in proximity the opposing forces are to each other, but none of the protestors are wielding weapons any larger than rocks. Because the masses of people span beyond the confines of the photo in both directions, it gives viewers an idea of the magnitude of the protests.


I knew I wanted a picture from 9/11 in this entry because there are so many striking examples to choose from, but I chose this one because it offers a different perspective than most. This is a New York Times picture taken at the Newseum (if you haven't been, you should go. It's definitely worth a trip to Washington, D.C.). As this picture shows, their 9/11 exhibit includes the remains of the north tower, a wall of September 12, 2001 front pages, and a repeating video of survivor stories. Something about the charred remains of the tower makes for a visually overwhelming and unforgettable experience.

On a much lighter note, I remember coming across this photo from the AJC while I was stuck inside during the snow days, complaining about cabin fever. This photo was quite a contrast from the images of cars sliding on icy roads and pedestrians making the hazardous treks to the grocery store that had previously filled my Twitter feed. I love the expression the dog seems to have- it doesn't care about the problems the snow has caused, it just wants to catch a snowball. It reminded me to at least try to enjoy what is a somewhat rare event in Athens. After all, when you live in Georgia you can't count on seeing snow every year...unless it's the week before spring break.

2 comments:

  1. I was able to visit the Newseum last year and I think this was one of the most impacting things that I saw. The wall of all the front pages from the event was insane, I've never seen anything like it. I think this picture really depicts all the interesting aspects of this exhibit.
    I like the collection of images that you put together. It shows a wide spectrum of how journalists depict the would.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was totally at the Newseum, too. The sculpture is even more wild in real life.

    ReplyDelete