Thursday, February 3, 2011

Photos


This first image I chose is a visual that often pops up in many of the music magazines I read. The man in the bubble is Wayne Coyne, the lead singer of psychedelic rock group The Flaming Lips. Coyne is notorious for pulling this stunt at all of the band's shows and The Flaming Lips are best known for their on-of-a-kind live show that is done on such a grand scale that they rarely play concerts that aren't part of a music festival. This particular photo was taken at the Treasure Island Music Festival in San Francisco last fall. I have never seen them play live, but whenever I see pictures of him rolling in a plastic ball through a massive sea of outstretched hands it makes me want to catch one of their shows. Photo: Fader Magazine

The second photo I chose was a picture of James Dean from the 1955 film "Rebel Without A Cause." I've been a big fan of James Dean ever since I discovered that he is from my home state of Indiana. He was one of the original badasses. He epitomized the ideal of live fast, die young. This picture depicts the look he was known for, most notably the D.A. hair and the cigarette hanging out of his mouth. It also is one of the few photos of Dean where there is even a trace of a smile on his face. He was one of those "tortured souls" so he seldom would smile in pictures. He also is a great actor. I am not really someone who likes old movies, but I genuinely enjoyed "Rebel Without A Cause." Photo: theselvedgeyard.wordpress.com.

This last photo requires a little explanation. When I was little, having a Supersoaker meant that you were just a little bit cooler than everyone else on the block. The bigger the better, and if it had two spray nozzles, you were set for life. That is the reason why my inner 8-year-old went nuts when I found out that my brother (the picture above) was going to be "the guy on the Supersoaker boxes." I just bought the gun with his face on it at Target and, no lie, it's probably going to be mounted proudly on a wall in my apartment somewhere. Photo: homebase.co.uk

3 comments:

  1. First, I can't believe your brother is on the box for Supersoakers. That is awesome. Next time I am in Target I will have to go see for myself! The first photo really does make you feel like your missing out on a great concert. Who doesn't want to see a lead singer in a bubble at a concert. The photo really captures the grande scale of the concert.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had to comment on the Flaming Lips photo. I agree with you completely, every time I see a photo of him rolling around the audience as if he were a hamster, I too want to see them live even more. He and Kim from Matt and Kim win the award for most inventive crowd surfing. Also, super classic picture of James Dean. Why aren't people as cool as he was anymore?

    ReplyDelete