Sunday, March 27, 2011

Ethics

My ethical dilemma is a little different because the lines for libel are a little blurred for tabloids. They are always alleging ridiculous claims about celebrities and no one seems to sue, they just correct the statements in an interview. This March, Katie Holmes sued Star magazine for $50 million in damages for suggesting that she was a drug addict in a headline. The headline read, "Addiction Nightmare. Katie Drug Shocker!"

The article actually didn't make any allegations about drug use, but was really about scientology counseling. From my perspective, since I would never pick up a copy of Star, if I saw the headline, I would think Katie Holmes was a drug addict. Thats what thousands of other people thought, too and Katie Holmes sued for libel.

I would never work for a tabloid unless I was very poor, but if I did, I certainly would not have published the article with this headline. Since the article has no evidence to support the drug claims, it seems like someone must have known they were going to get sued.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with what you said. I think it's ridiculous that people continue to make outrageous statements with no repercussion. Especially with our fast-paced society it's rare that people would take the time to read an article in its entirety to get the full story so this poses a problem to celebrities and citizens alike when getting falsely reported on.

    ReplyDelete