Friday, March 4, 2011

Dream job

My idea of my dream job is constantly changing from one day to the next. I blame that on the fact that I'm interested in so many things that I would honestly be happy working anywhere, from Time to National Geographic to something like Lake Oconee Living to The Weather Channel. Pretty varied, right? That basically describes my interests.

One thing I know for sure, maybe the only thing I know for sure, is that I want to eventually be an editor of whatever publication I choose to stick with for the long run. I don't like to be involved in something half-heartedly; if I'm going to do something, I want to hold some sort of leadership position.

Lately I've been thinking about combining two of the things I love, which are journalism and the outdoors. I can be very intense and uptight when it comes to journalism (the perfectionist in me can go a little crazy) and the one thing that always calms me down is going for a run or a hike. I like to imagine that the environment at a publication based on outdoor adventures would be a very fun, laid-back work environment. I'm addicted to Runner's World magazine. While I would love to work somewhere like Time as I mentioned above, I think I would also love catering to a narrower focus.

My current involvement as an UGAzine editor will definitely help in the job search, but I know I need to work for a few different publications to expand my portfolio. I would love to write for the Athens or Oconee Patch this summer. I am also interviewing for a couple of web-based internships, which would allow me to use my primitive knowledge of web design. When I began to pursue the new media certificate, I was concerned because I didn't consider myself exceptionally good with technology. While it still provides a bit of a challenge, I think that my (eventual) ability to build a website, apps, and other online accessories will prove to be very attractive for employers.

No comments:

Post a Comment