Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Emily's Dream Job






When I was really little my dream job changed daily, and it still does. First it was a gorilla trainer, then a ballerina, a teacher, and the list goes on and on. After high school, I quickly realized I don't like math and I hate science even more. This led me to journalism. As a member of the newspaper staff at school, I found that I love journalism but not necessarily news writing. This is how I stumbled upon magazines.
Once in college, I declared a double major in Fashion Merchandising and Magazines. Even as an "adult" my dreams still change all the time. I love my majors and have a passion for both of them. After completing several internships, I have gotten a feel for what each industry is like.
I guess if I had to choose a dream job today it would be to work at InStyle magazine or another similar publication. InStyle is my favorite fashion magazine, and I have loved it since I was a little girl. I used to sit with my mom as she read it monthly and look at all the pictures.
In order to achieve this dream job, I will be interning in New York this summer to get my footing, then plan on interning with InSyle and Time Inc. next summer. In the fashion journalism industry, the best way to get in the door is to intern with the company you want to work for. So...that's the plan.
Of course as I've said before, I am a southern girl and don't think I could live in the big bad city forever. When I am ready to settle down/have a family, my new, adapted dream job is to open my own boutique in a city like Charleston and work freelance for Garden and Gun magazine, which is my dad's favorite magazine that,along with InStyle, I have been exposed to since I was young.


That's my dream. Work for a fashion magazine in New York City, then move and settle down in a small southern town with my own business, family, and free lance career.

No comments:

Post a Comment